10 September 2011

Feeling Loved

I was feeling so much love today, on my birthday and felt really drawn to writing about it. As many of you know, I have recently uprooted and moved West, to beautiful Victoria, BC. This month has been all about new challenges, discovery and constant acceptance of change. When traveling to new places and embarking on new adventures, I am always conscious to keep an open mind and be welcoming to new experiences. I believe that by setting expectations, one can become disappointed if things don't work out, or these expectations are not met. This is the reason I keep such an open mind and allow things to unfold naturally. Upon finishing school and the many adventures I had throughout the past 4 years, I have really come to know and understand myself - who I am, what my goals and interests are, and where this life may take me. I am content with myself and, at least thought, I was closer to figuring out the next years of my life. But it turns out it doesn't matter how many amazing life changing experiences you have, or how much you feel like you understand yourself, everyday is a learning experience and everyday since I have been in Victoria I have learned something new about myself and about the world - it just never stops! A good friend put it well when she said, 'it's a lifelong process' of learning, constant discovery and constant reevaluation of where you're at and where you want to go. This, I have realized since being here, is completely true. I have overcome the frustration of being in new and unknown territory and remembered patience - a virtue that has revealed itself along my travels, when adjusting to new cultures, new people and new places. I have also realized that this time, I really am doing it on my own. Having resources at my disposal at the University of Guelph was such a blessing and once I got comfortable, I used them frequently; however, here in Victoria, it is up to me to go out and find what I am looking for. So that's exactly what I have been doing. And from here the learning never ends, the self-discovery is constant and my eyes are always open.

Much of what I have already discovered and learned along the way has been thanks to my beautiful family and friends and all their love and support! I feel so blessed to have each and every one of you in my life and could not have come this far without your guidance and words of wisdom. The support I have received is so immense and I am constantly in awe of those who give it - thank you.

This birthday is the first one I have had away from home. Whether it be Brantford or Guelph, Ontario has (for the most part) remained my roots. Now in BC, I felt a bit sad that I could not share this day with the people who mean the most to me - but I was happy at the same time because I felt the love and good vibes! Not just from family and friends at home, in Canada, but also from abroad. My birthday gift to myself was to phone my host family in South Africa and speak to them for the first time since I left - and what an amazing gift that was! To hear my host-mother, Pam, scream with delight when she realized who was calling - I could just picture her smiling and it made me smile back. And when Sonke and Nani sang me happy birthday it brought me back to the nights spent in the living room, listening to music and watching them dance and sing together. I wish I could have recorded that moment on the phone and replay it in my head over and over, but it is forever in my memory. So thank you to the Ndinisa's for being so special - you hold a big piece of my heart and I so look forward to the day we can see each other again. I was also surprised by a phone call from a friend in Botswana - Olefile! It meant so much to reconnect with my friends from all over the world today. The people I have met are the reason I travel - each and every person has taught me something new and I can only hope that I am able to continue learning from them and the others I may someday meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment